Having finally found buttons that were not made in China and did not add 30% or more to the total project material costs, I finished up Before Dark this weekend. The weather really hasn’t been cool enough to wear it, but. . . has that ever stopped a knitter with a gorgeous new FO?
I made several modifications. The pattern calls for eight buttons in two columns, with the last one falling just slightly below the bust, but I did ten and spaced them out more, so the bottom buttons are just above the hip. I also added several extra decrease rounds in the sleeves (if I were to do it again, I’d even throw in a couple more).
The thing that first drew me to this pattern was that it’s double breasted, which means two layers of wool right on that center stripe where the cold wind hits a cyclist hardest. And because it’s going to be riding gear, I made a couple of bike-specific mods.
Short rows at the back so it will reach past the top of my pants when I’m in the drops:
And extra-long sleeves with thumb holes. Since the cuffs are garter, they can be turned up most of the time and just be wrist-length, but it’s nice to have the option for that extra bit of coziness.